*specifications updated on 1/19/16
SAN DIEGO, CA – Fastec Imaging is pleased to announce the release of the TS5-Q, a portable, battery-powered 5 megapixel (MP) high-speed camera with a 7” touch display. The TS5 is designed for myriad applications from troubleshooting faults in manufacturing equipment, to creating professional commercial video content, to analysis of athletic performance. Producing high-resolution slow-motion video, the TS5-Q provides beautifully detailed views of fascinating events that go by too quickly to process with the naked eye.
Slow motion sequences are commonly seen in movies, in advertisements and sports on TV, and in all sorts of video on the internet. High-speed cameras have become practically ubiquitous with the availability of built-in high-speed video modes on cell phones and consumer video cameras and SLRs. Getting shots similar to what we see on TV or in the cinema, however, are not really possible with these consumer devices.
Purpose-built high-speed cameras such those from Fastec typically produce megapixel+ video at significantly higher frame rates than those available on consumer cameras and phones. They also have the requisite hardware for fancy event triggering and storing and transferring immense amount of image data as well as the light sensitivity and precision global shutters needed for crisp, accurate, blur-free images without motion distortion.
The “TroubleShooter” TS5-Q boasts new benchmarks for performance, resolution, and flexibility within Fastec Imaging’s growing line of high-speed cameras. The TS5-Q is designed to shine when the goal is capturing high-quality slow-motion video of a large or complex scene. The 5-megapixel sensor used in Fastec TS5-series cameras is capable of 1440p @ 359fps. (Equal to 2560 x 1440, or 4 times 720p, hence the term Quad-HD.) Contrast this to professional video cameras designated “Super Slo-Mo,” which do 720p @ 180fps. In other words, the TS5-Q supports twice the frame rate at 4 times the resolution when compared to the slow motion playback you might see for sports on TV!
Apart from creating gorgeous high-speed video that matches the resolution (2560 x 1440) of many of the new high-end 27” computer displays, the 2560 x 2048 pixel resolution of the TS5-Q camera has benefits beyond the beauty. According to Tom Boldt, Director of Sales Americas at Fastec, “An application came to our attention recently where a researcher needed to get a shot of a mouse running along a long, narrow track. Using a resolution of 2560 x 500, we could get a beautifully detailed image of the mouse at 1000fps all along the track, perfectly in focus all the way! Normally, to get a shot like that you would need to either sacrifice resolution or move the camera, neither of which would have been practical in this instance.” Tracking objects, people or animals in a highly dynamic scene is often difficult. Beginning with a bigger canvas before processing can be advantageous. And for some applications, non-standard resolutions can be extremely helpful!
- State-of-the-art 5MP 12-bit high-speed CMOS imaging sensor
- 2560 x 1440 Quad-HD video recording at 359fps to onboard memory for 6.3sec
- 2560 x 2048 QSXGA video recording at 253fps to onboard memory for 6.3sec
- 1920 x 1080 (1080p) HD video recording at 634fps to onboard memory for 6.3sec
- Save full (8GB) memory buffer to onboard SSD in as little as 40sec with SSD option
- Stream high-speed video directly to an onboard SSD for longer recordings with the Long Record option
- VGA (NTSC or PAL) recordings at over 2000fps to onboard memory for more than 13sec. *Over 3000fps for >8sec. with x2 binning.
- Gigabit Ethernet Control with Fastec FasMotion software on a PC, Mac, or Linux computer
- Remote Camera Control with any laptop, smartphone or tablet running a web browser on a wired or WiFi network
- Full HD 1080p60 or 720p60 HDMI video output
- C-mount, Nikon F-mount, and PL lens mounts available
Other TS5 Models:
- TS5-H: Records up to 1920 x 1080 (1080p) HD at 634fps to onboard memory for 6.4 seconds
- TS5-S: Records up to 1280 x 1024 at 991fps to onboard memory for 9.7 seconds
- TS5-L: Records up to 800 x 600 at 1677fps to onboard memory for 15.6 seconds
Fastec Imaging is a global supplier of digital high-speed imaging systems, based in San Diego, CA. The company specializes in uniquely portable and affordable high-speed camera systems, including handheld, point-and-shoot systems, compact PC-controlled cameras, and long duration record systems. Fastec cameras are used in many applications including engineering, industrial manufacturing, packaging, medical, and academic research.